Farm News

I recently put mouse poison in the classroom behind the storage walls and as I was sewing up there one night this week, I saw Faye go back there.  I didn’t think a thing of it until 15 minutes later when I walked over there and the poison tray was completely empty.  Both Faye and Telly were there in the classroom but neither one would admit to eating the poison.  I got another full box of mouse poison and set it down on the floor and Faye went right for it and even wanted to take a lick.  We flew into action with the hydrogen peroxide and the internet.  Faye is a tough cookie to handle and when I couldn’t get enough peroxide down her throat to make her throw up, I had to call the vet.  He agreed to meet me at the clinic where he forced peroxide down the throats of both Faye and Telly.  No vomiting!  He gave them more peroxide.  Still no vomiting so he put a heaping tablespoon of salt on the back of their tongues and that did it.  I almost felt guilty when there were no mouse poison pellets in the vomit because I had asked the vet to come to the clinic at 10 pm!  But we all agreed, it’s better to be safe than sorry.  My poor doggies!  Such tummy aches and how will I ever get them into that clinic again?  It’s a mystery where all that mouse poison went because it had been only a week since I put it out and I know we don’t have a herd of mice that big!

It’s always something around here, isn’t it?

How about a good book?  Here are 2 book recommendations from a reader:

“Snow Hunters” by Paul Yoon

“The Gravity of Birds” by Tracy Guzeman

Since we’ve had such an overwhelming response to the Free Online Quilt Sampler, we have decided to do it again next year.  I hope to start sewing over Thanksgiving.

Also, don’t forget the 100 Bolt Sale online or in the store.

The shop will be closed November 28, 29, 30, December 1 and 2 for Thanksgiving.

Mary

9 thoughts on “Farm News

  1. Debbie Rogowski

    I’m so sorry I had such a good laugh. It’s always funny when it’s over but not when you are living it. I did learn something from this though, I had no clue that hydrogen peroxide is used to induce vomiting. I’m betting on a herd of mice lol. I could never figure why they will chew INTO an unopened box of poison

  2. Polly

    Lucky, my cat, swallowed my husband’s heart pills. We gave him hydrogen peroxide and he would not throw up. The vet said not to give him more because it could overdose him. He was very lethargic that day and gave up one of his lives but survived.

  3. Jeanine Waal

    I am so happy to hear that you are going to do the online quilt sampler again next year. I am doing it this year and I’m all caught up on my blocks. And to think I have used nothing but fabric from my stash is wonderful! Thanks again for this opportunity. Looking forward to finishing it up. Glad all the dogs are doing okay. You really do need to write a book.
    Jeanine Waal

  4. lynn

    Hopefully a lesson was learned…poisons have no place in a home with children and pets. Neither should they be used outdoors.

  5. Gloria Frerichs

    Good morning Mary – I just realized that your shop will be closed on the last Saturday of November. When do we pick up our block of the month?

    1. CountryThreads Post author

      $5.00 quilt Saturday will be held on the 23rd of November since the shop will be closed on the last Saturday of the month.

  6. Nancy Watt

    We have pets and when we feel the need to use poisons we put the poison in a coffee container laid on it’s side. We cut a small hole in the lid just big enough for a mouse to go through. This way our pets can’t get into it.

Comments are closed.